Youth identified in February Walmart fire on Burbank Dr.

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) – A juvenile has been identified as the person responsible for deliberately setting a fire at the Walmart store on Burbank Drive in Baton Rouge last month, St. George Fire Department spokesperson Meg Kling said. Wednesday.

Because of his age, Kling would only say that the suspect is a boy under the age of 10.

“They have begun the juvenile justice process and we will follow up on our juvenile arsonist program to ensure intervention and prevention in the lives of the youth and families involved,” Kling said.

Fire investigators estimate damage to the store from the February 18, 2024 fire at nearly $9 million dollars.

Surveillance camera footage showed the young man setting the store’s Arts & Crafts aisle on fire, investigators said.

The fire caused multiple sprinkler heads to activate, flooding many areas of the store, leading to a closure that lasted five days.

No one was injured.

Click here to report a typo.

Leave a Comment